Monday, May 4, 2009

Last night when Jagger said his prayers, this is what he prayed: "Dear Jesus, Thank you for giving me baby Jack, and thank you for letting me be a big brother. Amen." How precious is that! He loves his baby brother, and thank goodness, he has never shown one sign of jealousy. He still tries to make him laugh by dancing for him or making funny faces, and he always talks in a high pitch voice - especially when Jack is crying - and says, "Do you want your big brother?" It's so sweet to see Jagger in his new role!

Switching gears a bit...my weekend was interesting to say the least. I have lost several people in my life. Death has not been too distant for me or my family, but I have never lost someone I know or love to suicide...until now. Our cousin, Laura, in Atlanta committed suicide on Friday, May 1. Laura is my mom's first cousin. She had a rough life and had to endure things that no one should ever have to endure - losing both parents as a teenager, having to live with an aunt and move states after her parents died, being sexually molested by an uncle, going in and out of drug/alcohol rehab...you name it. However, she was blessed by having a wonderful son, who is now a teenager. Laura had a wonderful husband, too, but never seemed to be able to "handle" life. When good things came her way, it's like she couldn't quite deal with it. She had been in rehab recently, but didn't finish the program and was out on her own. I guess the pressure was too much because she used a rope to end her life. And - the worst part of all - she did not know Christ as her savior. Laura was so bitter because of the hardships she endured in her life that she never wanted to hear about God. So, grief is hard, but knowing that Laura is not enjoying the blessings of Heaven is even harder. It's difficult to grasp this whole situation. Now, all we can do is pray for her family, her son (especially), and the ones who tried to reach out to her, yet are feeling a lot of guilt right now that they could have done more. This has made me realize how grateful I am that I have hope in Christ, hope in my salvation, and hope that the end of this life is not the end for me, after all! Do you have hope?

3 comments:

Nickell said...

Ash, I am so sorry to hear about this. What a situation. I will definitely pray for the family.

The B Family said...

What a precious little story about your boys! Wyatt's newest thing is to open my mouth to talk to Luke...I guess since the sound comes out of my mouth, he figures it can go back down that way, too! It's so precious!
My heart just hurts for your cousin's son. I will be praying for his salvation and hope...and peace for those she's left behind.
Thank you for calling yesterday...I'll be in touch soon! (We were at the USC baseball game and got sunburnt!)
Love you~ Rebecca

mommy to Kaden, Brody and angel Ava said...

I am so sorry to hear this news. I will keep your family in my prayers, especially your cousin's son. I couldn't imagine.