Tuesday, April 28, 2009

How sweet it is...

Have you ever wondered just how in the world a conversation ends where it does? Well, that happened yesterday with me and Jagger. We were in the car, and was listening to my Third Day CD, and on one of the songs, Jagger yells, "Oh yeah! I LOVE this song, mommy!" I told him that the song was about Jesus, and he then asked me to tell him a story about Jesus. Well, I thought that was just precious, so I asked him what story he wanted me to tell him. We have a "Passion of the Christ" coffee table book at home, and since Jagger has noticed the vivid pictures of Jesus carrying his cross on the cover of the book, he asked me to tell him about 'those mean guys who hurt Jesus'. So, I began to tell him the simple story of how Jesus loved everyone, but some people didn't love him and didn't believe that he was God's son, etc. Then, I explained that they put a crown of thorns on his head that hurt really bad, and they took nails and nailed his hands and feet to a big cross, and he died there. As I explained this in the most child-friendly way possible, Jagger began to show anger on his little face. He interrupted me as I told him the story, and he said while making a fist, "Mommy, I'm gonna get those bad guys, and I'm gonna punch 'em right in the face because they were mean to Jesus!!" I told Jagger that Jesus wasn't even mad at them when they were being mean to him. Well, that just threw Jagger for a loop because - in his mind - how in the world could Jesus possibly NOT be mad at those mean people for doing such awful things to him? I mean, even a 3 year old can sense when revenge is necessary!! This just reminded me how incredible it was and is that Jesus loved them and loves us even when we deny him, hurt him, push him aside...you name it. He doesn't even get mad at us! He loves us anyway. Here, my 3 year old was showing his human sinfulness by wanting to punch those mean guys in the face, and I'm clearly reminded of Jesus' perfection and how lucky we are that he forgives us when we are so tainted!

After Jagger was thoroughly taken back by the story of Jesus' crucifixion, I told him the "good" news...that 3 days later, Jesus came back to life! Jagger's eyes lit up, and he got so excited, like Jesus was the coolest SUPERHERO of all! He said, "That is so awesome!" That's his latest phrase, by the way :) Anyway, I went on to explain to him that Jesus died on the cross and came back to life so that we could go to heaven some day and live forever and ever with Him!
It was so neat to explain the story of Jesus to Jagger for the first thorough time and actually see him respond with feeling and understanding! He's 3 and he got it! Now, of course it's as simple as it can be for him, but the story of Jesus is simple enough that even a 3 year old can "get it"! How awesome!

Then...when heaven came up, Jagger reminded me that baby London was in heaven. Then, as he often does, he began to tear up and grieve his baby sister. I then reminded him, without tears I might add, that when we go to heaven some day, we'll get to see baby London and be with her forever and ever and ever! And we'll get to see Nana and Papaw Key and baby London's friends who she plays with in heaven...and we'll get to see Jesus and God and the streets of gold...and angels... Man, what a beautiful place I described to Jagger! It's like he was listening to a fairy tale as I explained heaven to him! His tearful eyes began to brighten as I continued explaining all the 'cool' things about heaven. He then asked me, "When I go to heaven some day, can I hug baby London when I see her?" As you can imagine, I suddenly had to hold back my tears. "Yes, honey, you can hug baby London. You can play with her and talk to her..." He smiled and even laughed out loud with excitement! Then, the sweetest thing happened. He turned to Jack and in a high-pitched voice (that he always uses when talking to his baby brother), he started telling him about heaven and that London was there and some day they can play with her and hug her and see Jesus there... He went on and on - just explaining all of that great news to his baby brother! It absolutely melted my heart as I stared at the road in front of me and listened to my sweet boy relaying such a beautiful message to my newborn. Now, moments like that are when you realize that God doesn't have to move a mountain to prove his presence and his power!! I love being reminded of his goodness.

1 comment:

mommy to Kaden, Brody and angel Ava said...

The story about Jagger telling Jack about his baby sister touches my heart and of course turned on the water works. What a precious little boy. I worry about Kaden and his feelings on everything. He talks about Ava and that she is in Heaven but I do not know exactly his feelings on the whole situation. He has told me before, when talking about her, "everybody cry." I explained to him why everybody was sad but I don't know if he truly understood the reasoning. When we brought Brody home, all four of us were in the car and Kaden signed "brother home, sister home." I think he was asking why Brody gets to come home but not sissy (then again I might be looking into it wrong).

I was wondering, have you heard "Sissy's Song" by Alan Jackson (I think). If not you have got to hear it. I downloaded it onto our blog. I LOVE it and it makes me think of Ava when I hear it. When it comes on the radio I get goosebumps and feel like she is with me, like it is her sign of saying "hey mommy, I am here."

Well, I will let you go for now. If you go to my blog you will see that I finally added you to my list :)!!!! I look forward to reading more of your journal entries (as I related so much to you with the one you just posted).

Amy