Thursday, July 15, 2010

30??? Whoah!!!

Well, I am absolutely without-a-doubt not in my 20's any more! Yesterday, I turned the big 30! I admit, the anticipation of the big day was a little rough for me. I would catch myself thinking about the fact that although I feel like I'm still "college" age, now I am SO NOT college age!! I am not "young" any more (from my perspective)! In fact, I kept thinking about my vague memories of my own mother's 30th birthday!! Yes, I was 8 when my mom turned 30, and I remember :) Jonathan kept teasing me that I was like a used car...7 years, 30,000 miles...it's time to trade me in!! I had to quickly remind him that I was overdue on my trade because he's 35 already!

After my little pity party and moments of "shock" that I'm in a whole new age category, I found that the actual day was wonderful! Yesterday, I told Jonathan that the best present he could give me was a "me" day! I wanted a day where I could think clearly without distractions, I could go and do what I wanted without bored/mad/sad/sleepy/antsy little boys, and without feeling rushed or guilty that I had been gone too long, without calling every hour to make sure the boys were okay...I wanted to be selfish for just one day!!

Oh my goodness, it was AWESOME!!! I first got an hour-long massage. Have you ever gotten an hour-long massage??? If you haven't, then you are missing on out on one of life's greatest pleasures!! It was absolutely wonderful. I think I enjoyed it even more because I never lay still for an hour during the day anyway, and I definitely never have an hour where I'm being completely pampered in a dark room with soft, soothing music...on a heated bed!! I honestly couldn't even talk, I was so relaxed...and I think I drooled, too. Can you tell I enjoyed it??? It was actually my 4th one, but I wait like 2 years in between each one, and that is clearly way too long!! Anyway, after that, I got my haircut - which is totally pampering, too, because I love people playing with my hair! Then, I went shopping and shopping and shopping some more!! And I didn't buy the boys a thing!! I always end up buying for the boys when I shop. Yesterday, it was all about me! Doesn't that sound SO selfish???

Mom was cooking me dinner at 7, and I rolled up at her house at 6:30! I took full advantage of the day :) She cooked beef stroganoff - on of my favorites, with other goodies, plus a "Coke Cake" which is basically a rich, chocolate cake with peanut butter icing! It's one of my very favorites, and it was absolutely delicious!! I got sweet cards and gifts from my family, and we had a great time.

So...I realized yesterday, after feeling so rejuvenated and "alive", that 30 isn't quite so bad! In fact, as I thanked God for the day, I couldn't help but think of all the blessings He has given me in my 30 years...a wonderful childhood with wonderful parents and sisters; my health and physical/mental abilities to be successful and independent; a great career that I love; a loving husband; 3 beautiful children; a beautiful home; wonderful friends and family; and the strength and perseverance to make it through life's greatest challenges. My aunt Cely told me last week that her 30's have been the best years of her life because in your 30's, you are who you are, no one is trying to mold you, influence you...and you learn to love yourself and find peace with who you really are. So...I am looking forward to this new decade, and I'm certain that when I hit 40, 30 really won't seem so old!!!

Here's to getting older!! Because it totally beats the alternative...

1 comment:

The B Family said...

Happy Birthday, friend!!!! I turned the big 3-1 last month. I tell you what, I don't think the 30s are all that bad. I've actually enjoyed it! It's freeing in some strange way, to have arrived at an age where you just feel good to be you.

Sounds like you got the day you deserved! And, yes, I drool on those suckers, too...they never happen often enough. I think that makes us appreciate them even more!

Love you...my 30 year old hot momma, friend!~ Rebecca